BELLWOODS PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM
On Monday, June 4, 1888 the Bellwood borough school board held its first meeting and laid the foundation for our present school system, which has since had a steady growth and developed into a first-class school system. The first school building, a two-story frame structure, valued at $1,000, was erected on the present school site at the corner of Boyles and South First Street. In this building were four rooms furnished and equipped for school purposes.
However, this building soon had served its usefulness as the increased population called for larger quarters. Then in 1892, the frame building was razed and in its place was erected an up-to-date eight room brick building which is still in use. This building supplied all the educational needs of the borough until 1912, when it became necessary to resort to half-day sessions in many of the grades. This condition was brought about by further growth in population, necessitating more room, and accordingly in 1913-14 a modern six-room brick building was erected on the corner of Antis and North Third Streets, on a site of ground purchased in 1911 at a cost of $1,125.
The whole school system has shown rapid progress from the four grades in 1888 consisting of first and second primary, intermediate and grammar, to the present eight grades and high school. No work above the seventh grade had been attempted until 1892, when an eighth grade was started and one-year high school course established. In 1900 a second year was added and in 1905 by placing an assistant in the high school, the three-year course was established. In 1913 by opening another room for high school use and adding another teacher it was possible to have a complete four-year high school course, thus making it in the first class high school standing.
Since that time additional instructors have been added to the teaching staff, more studies added to the school curriculum, and today Bellwood is offering to its boys and girls educational advantages commensurate with those of towns of greater wealth and population.
Following are the names of those who have served in the capacity of principal: